Skip to main content

Poem Collection from 7 Habit Highly Effective Teens from Sean Covey

#1: Who am I?
 I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.
I will push you onward or drag you down
to failure. I am completely at your command.
Half the things you do you might just as 
well turn over to me and I will be able to do 
them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed--you must merely
be firm with me. Show me exactly how you 
want something done and after a few lessons
 I will do it automatically. I am the 
servant of all great individuals and, alas, of 
all failures, as well. Those who are great I
have made great. Those who are failures,
I have made failures.

I am not a machine, though I work
with all the precision of a machine plus
the intelligence of a human. You may run
me for a profit or run me for ruin--it
makes no difference to me.
Take me, train me, be firm with me, 
and I will place the world at your feet. Be
easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I?
I am habit


#2: Man in the Mirror
I'm starting with the man in
the mirror
I'm asking him to change
 his ways
And no message could have
been any clearer
If you wanna make the world
a better place
Take a look at yourself, and
then make a change.


#3
When I was young and free and my my
imagination had no limits, I dreamed of
changing the world;

As I grew older and wiser I realized the
world would not change.

And I decided to shorten my sights
somewhat and change only my country.
But it seemed immovable.

As I entered my twilight years, in one last
desperate attempt, I sought to change
only my family, those closest to me, but
alas they would have none of it.

And now here I lie on my death bed and
realize (perhaps for the first time) that if
only I'd changed myself first, then by
example I may have influenced my
family with their encouragement
and support I may have bettered my
country, and who knows I may have
changed the world.


#4 There's a Hole in My Sidewalk by Portia Nelson
I walk down in the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost...I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place
But, it isn't my fault.
I still takes a long time to get out

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the side walk
I see it there
I still fall in. It's a habit.
My eyes are open
I know where I am
It is my fault. I get out immediately.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

I walk down another street


# 5 By Douglas Malloch
The tree that never had to fight
For sun and sky and air and light,
But stood out in the open plain
And always got its share of rain,
Never became a forest king
But lived and died a scrubby thing...
Good timber does not grow with ease,
The stronger the wind, the stronger the trees


#6 By Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in
a wood, and I--
I took one less 
traveled by,
And that has made all
the difference.


# 7 By Shakespeare
What win I, if I gain thing I seek?
A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy.
Who buys a minute 's mirth to wail a week?
Or sells eternity to get a toy?
For one sweet grape who will the vine destroy?


#8
To realize the value of One Year,
Ask a student who failed his or her AP exams.
To realize the value of One Month,
Ask a mother who gave birth to a premature baby.
To realize the value of One Week,
Ask an editor of weekly magazine.
To realize the value of One Day,
Ask a daily wage laborer who has six kids to feed.
To realize the value of One Hour,
Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.
To realize the value of One Minute,
Ask a person who missed their train.
To realize the value of One Second,
Ask the person who survived an accident.
To realize the value of One Millisecond,
Ask the person who won a silver medal in the Olympics.


# 9 Please Listen
When I ask you to listen to me
and you start giving me advice,
you have not done what I asked.
When I ask you to listen to me
and you begin to tell me why
I shouldn't feel that way,
you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me
and you feel you have to do something
to solve my problem,
you have failed me,
strange as that may seem.
Listen! All I ask is that you listen
Don't talk or do--just hear me


# 10 The Cold Within
Six humans trapped by happenstance, in bleak and bitter cold,
Each oe possessed a stick of wood, or so the story's told.

Their dying fire in need of logs, the first man held his back,
For of the faces 'round the fire, he noticed one was black.

The next man looking 'cross the way they saw one not of his church,
And couldn't bring himself to give the fire his stick of birch.

The third one sat in lattered clothes, he gave his coat a hitch,
Why should his log be put to use to warm the idle rich?

The rich man just sat back and thought of wealth he had in store,
And how to keep what he had earned from the lazy, shiftless poor.

The black man's face bespoke revenge as the fire passed from the sight,
For all he saw in his stick of wood was a chance to sit the white.

The last man of his forlorn group did naught except for gain,
Giving only to those who gave how he played the game.

Their logs held tight in death's still hand was proof of human sin.
They didn't die from the cold without--they died from the cold within


I hope it's inspire you guys :D


-NA



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpts from Teman Imaji

Kotatsu: Kopi atau Susu K: "Menurut Mas, ya, lebih enak mana. Lampu merah yang ada penghitung mundurnya. Atau yang tidak? B: "Hmm.. Dengan penghitung mundur. Supaya sambil menunggu, bisa melakukan hal yang lain. Kalau waktunya sudah dekat, bisa bersiap dan bergegas." Kalau kau? K: "Tanpa penghitung mundur. Menunggu jadi seru saat kita tak tahu kapan akan berakhir. Kita akan menghargai setiap detik penantian." B: "Masa?" K: " Iya. Nilai sesuatu lebih berharga saat kita belum memilikinya. Atau, sudah tak memilikinya lagi." B: "Kan, lebih enak kalau tahu semua kenyataan. Apa adanya," K: "Kadang tak tahu, lebih baik dari tau. Lebih baik daripada tau sesuatu tapi tak jujur. Atau tau setengah-setengah, tapi ujungnya kita salah menduga. Atau yang jujur, tapi terlalu pahit." B: "Saya menyimak" K: " Allah itu Mahacanggih. Nggak semua hal dikasih tau ke kita. Karena kita belum siap tau kenyataannya

A Tale of my Two used to be "Friend"

  Ternyata cerita drama atau sinetron itu klo kejadian ke diri lo sendiri itu lebih sakit adanya ngejalaninnya. Gw mau cerita ttg dua orang yang "dulunya" pernah jadi temen gw. Yang satu temen gw di sekumpulan grup pecinta alam yang suka naik gunung bareng. Pernah kerja bareng di suatu acara intra kampus dengan jadi koordinator bareng. Berlanjut sampe bantuin gw skripsian, ya cukup diandalkan lah buat dimintain tolong buat sekedar jemput gw subuh2 di stasiun kereta atau saling support selama koas yg bikin orang vulnerable karna jauh dari orang tua dan tuntutan kerjaan yang bikin lelah hati dan pikiran. Oh tapi ga cuma2 jg dong dia bantuin gw karena yg ada jg dia butuh gw, tiap stase pinjem buku gw, pinjem alkes pun dan ga lupa jg minta operan stase pdhl kita stase bareng aja gapernah jadi senior junior stase jg ga pernah. Entah itu modusnya buat selalu ada bahan ngobrol sama gw atau main bareng gw atau emg simply dia ga modal aja anaknya. Sempet dikecewain karena ternyata pa