Skip to main content

A Journey to become an Exchange Student

I actually want to post this several weeks ago when my english teacher gave this back to me. This is actually a papperwork given for my English class. We have to make an autobiography essay with more showing on it. We learned how to make the story 'showing' actually rather than just 'telling'. We don't have to tell about our whole life experience, instead, just a piece of our story which is memmorable to us. I think it's really great opportunity to tell my story then. And guess what, I got an 'A' for this task, I'm really glad :D 
My english teacher even gave some notes:
" I had no idea what you (and Putri-last year exchange students from Indonesia too) went through to get here, thanks for writting this"

Here is my story begin (Be ready because it will be a long passage to read since it is REALLY a long journey to pass through ;P):

    One day, I saw a poster on the information board, along the wall of the stairs of my high school building. My curiosity suddenly appeared as I looked upon the poster that is seemed to be quite interesting. a big picture of the earth that was centered in the middle of the poster was the one who grab my attention. Beneath it, there was a bold sentence whic sounds really interesting. 'Listen to the world and the world will listen to you'. I rolled my eyes from the bottom to the top of the poster and read the tittle: To Be A Future Leader.
    For several minutes I stood still in front of the information board. i wanted to know more. But I didn't really get what was it all about. So then I searched for another information from the people. My senior told me, it was about the exchange and study program abroad. The program was held by AFS which being partner with Bina Antar Budaya Foundation, the one who arrange the exchange program in Indonesia. One thing that popped out from my mind was that is a great opportunity. Beautiful scenery of many places around the world come accross my head as my eyes getting brighter; imagine all of great experiences that I would have by joinning the program. i decided to join the program rightaway. There was a smile in my face.
    On Sunday, i went to buy the form to apply the program with my mom. at first, as I opened the blue cover of the form I get frustated to read all instructions to fulfill the form as i don't want to count how many pages should I completed. At that time, I din't know that since I dare myself to join the program, I have to get used ti deal with bunch of paperwork.
    The due date to submit the form had arrived. It was the end of of April and also the last day to return the form. When I came, the street and garage of the place were filled by people. It seems there's no enough space to fit everybody. If you think the building was a big office building, you are absoulutely wrong. It's just a small house An ordinary one.
    It was a long day to wait for my turn. As I finished return the form, I get the participants card that will be used as an ID for the whole selection process. There were 3 phases of selection. The first one was written test for general knowledge, English and essay. The second one were English and self interview and the third one was a group dynamics discussion. The selection it self held periodically. There were one to two months break from one selection to another to give the judge have a time to decide who will pass for the next selection. The result of judges decision was announced in websites (babjakarta.org). I remembered my number; it was 858. It had become a sacred number whenever I open the websites and scream out loud when my number was there.
    I have passed all of those selections. I wonder, what's next. There was a letter come to my house from Bina Antar Budaya which told that my journey to be selected hasn't done yet. I have to pass the national and international selection first, which was seen from my applications form. I have to wait for the next letter of announcement. It made me crazy to wait.
    Fortunately I passed the national chapter selection and become an official candidate from Jakarta Chapter. On Saturday night, I came with my parents to the meeting with other candidates; the organisation wanted to explain more detail of the program. it wasn't held on national office which was really small, it was held on the building which own by Ministry of Cultural and Education of Indonesia. The building are used to held conference meeting, seminar and other big events. 
    There were four program which arrange by Bina Antarbudaya in collaboration with International Organisations. Those are a year program to go to Europe such as Germany, Norway, Italy, Switzerland, Netherland, France, Belgium, and also America held by AFS, a year of scholarship program to go to America held by YES, a year program to go to Japan held by JENNESYS. I and my parents were hoping that I can be selected in YES program, because it is a scholarship program, we still have to pay for another program. Although we don't have to pay full for another program, but still my parents have to spend much money. I just don't think it's worth if we have to pay, after a long and tough competition in selection process.
    I was very surprised when I was checking my e-mail one night. I received an e-mail from Bina Antarbudaya. It was the invitation to join the YES selection program. I was very shocked, freeze for a while. Speechless. I don't know what to do, I read the e-mail several times because my mind was too excited until it bounced every information that came up. I called my parents then I relax and calm down my self. We read it together and I got panick suddenly because I have to confirm I agree to join it tonight as the due date. After I confirmed, I packed my stuff because I have to spend 3 days for selection camp from Friday to Sunday.
    I was too tired to do more selections actually, but I was just being positive. The selections was actually almost same as the first one, but it just reversed the sequence. The first one were 2 group dynamics discussion, second one interview and the last was SLEP test, an english test. it was fun actually, because I have met many candidates all over Indonesia who speak different accent and local language. My friends said we're already exchange culture even though we're still in Indonesia.
  After the selections done, there was a letter that told me I'm being an official candidates of YES program. But still, the organisations told me not to hope too much, anything could be happen, I still have to do immunizations, finish YES application form, apply visa and wait for the host family. They can guarantee that I'll be going if I'm already in airplane.
   It took a year--literally to do all of the selection process and complete everything before I can finally leave and doing my exchange program. Lots of people as supported me in this programe including my parents, my friends and also my seniors that has come back from program and become a volunteer in Bina Antarbudaya Foundation. We call them as a 'Returnee'.
    I was very glad that I can finish everything on time before the orientation. I remembered that everyday I was busy to prepare for my departure. I didn't even remember how to breath and relax for a second. I went to hospital to get shots in order to complete the immunizations requirements. I went to dentist every 3 days to controll my braces. I learn 2 Indonesian traditional dance, Ragam Dasar from Betawi and Bungo Jeumpo from Aceh in just 5 meetings. I practiced for talent show chapter (which made us have to go home together very late, although it was fun because we slept over at my grandma's house). I prepared my 17th birthday and farewell party. I went to buy souvenirs and traditional clothes. I went to music studio to convert cassette of the folk song for my traditional dance into CD. I learnt how to cook pempek, one of traditional food from Palembang. Yes, I have done all of that. Now, I can smile widely to show my teeth withoud braces on it. And I have time to relax just to wtch movies or playing computer. My Visa application has been approved and I've already received a letter about my host family. I will be hosted in St. Petersburg, Florida (which the place I stay right now for the next 10 months left).
    Looks like life seems a bit hard. I still have to do 10 days of tough orientation first before I leave. In orientation we were given training how to face on every kind of situations while we are in our hosted country and how to be an ambassador of Indonesia. There were AFS and YES students in orientation. So some of us will go to Europe and the other will go to America. There are 125 of us. 105 will go to America (103 YES students and the other 2 are AFS students) and the rest will go to Europe (each go to different country of course). after having materials in the orientation, from morning to evening, we still have to practice for our talent show at night. We will perform it on the farewell party. We only sleep 2 to 3 hours each day in orientation camp. But I think all of our work was priceless as I saw my mom and other parents crying when they gave us national flag pin after the farewell party. We have performed our best of our talent show in the farewell party, for our beloved people who has supported us. One day before we leave, we also went to Embassy of America in Jakarta. It was really fun to share our stories there.
    I remembered that some people told me I might lose a year of my study because I have to finish my senior year first after finished the program and come back to Indonesia. My friend would be in college or university at that time. My mother told me don't get crazy if I'm not selected and failed to go. The returnee kept telling me and other candidates that we are the chosen one and we have to be a great ambassador of our country, Indonesia. All of the comments from the people become a motivator for me to make this year memorable and priceless. I've made this far. I'm one of hundreds from eight thousand applicants. I have to work on it. This is my decision to get out from my comfort zone. To be independent. To be a leader at least for my self. My goals to join this program  has slightly changed after the orientations that inspired me about the real purpose of the program. I have to be a better person when I come back. It is my promise to my self.
    I want to be grateful to God, even though I was very exhausted to participate in lots of activities at school, both academic and non academic, but all of those experiences are worth. I have joined many organizations and competitions even though I have to lose and win some.But for me, experience is priceless. It is better to fall then never dare to try. I think a successful person is the one who ever fail but able to learn from that failure.
    I define my self as a hard worker person. So I like to fight for something and completed all of my work in order to achieve a good accomplishment. I like to try new things, traveling and learning everything; music, science, language, etc. Those things have made my life full of experiences and give me a chance to interact and meet all of the people around my nations and around the world as well. And also lead me to this journey. A one year journey that might only happened once in my life. Here I am as an exchange students from Indonesia. In land of freedom, America.


Nadya Azzahra


Please note:
Remember this is an essay tell in 'showing' rather than tell 'telling so yeah, I made it more exaggerating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem Collection from 7 Habit Highly Effective Teens from Sean Covey

#1: Who am I?  I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden. I will push you onward or drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. Half the things you do you might just as  well turn over to me and I will be able to do  them quickly and correctly. I am easily managed--you must merely be firm with me. Show me exactly how you  want something done and after a few lessons  I will do it automatically. I am the  servant of all great individuals and, alas, of  all failures, as well. Those who are great I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures. I am not a machine, though I work with all the precision of a machine plus the intelligence of a human. You may run me for a profit or run me for ruin--it makes no difference to me. Take me, train me, be firm with me,  and I will place the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I will destroy you. Who am I? I am habit #2: Man in the Mirror I'm starting with the man in the mirr

Excerpts from Teman Imaji

Kotatsu: Kopi atau Susu K: "Menurut Mas, ya, lebih enak mana. Lampu merah yang ada penghitung mundurnya. Atau yang tidak? B: "Hmm.. Dengan penghitung mundur. Supaya sambil menunggu, bisa melakukan hal yang lain. Kalau waktunya sudah dekat, bisa bersiap dan bergegas." Kalau kau? K: "Tanpa penghitung mundur. Menunggu jadi seru saat kita tak tahu kapan akan berakhir. Kita akan menghargai setiap detik penantian." B: "Masa?" K: " Iya. Nilai sesuatu lebih berharga saat kita belum memilikinya. Atau, sudah tak memilikinya lagi." B: "Kan, lebih enak kalau tahu semua kenyataan. Apa adanya," K: "Kadang tak tahu, lebih baik dari tau. Lebih baik daripada tau sesuatu tapi tak jujur. Atau tau setengah-setengah, tapi ujungnya kita salah menduga. Atau yang jujur, tapi terlalu pahit." B: "Saya menyimak" K: " Allah itu Mahacanggih. Nggak semua hal dikasih tau ke kita. Karena kita belum siap tau kenyataannya

A Tale of my Two used to be "Friend"

  Ternyata cerita drama atau sinetron itu klo kejadian ke diri lo sendiri itu lebih sakit adanya ngejalaninnya. Gw mau cerita ttg dua orang yang "dulunya" pernah jadi temen gw. Yang satu temen gw di sekumpulan grup pecinta alam yang suka naik gunung bareng. Pernah kerja bareng di suatu acara intra kampus dengan jadi koordinator bareng. Berlanjut sampe bantuin gw skripsian, ya cukup diandalkan lah buat dimintain tolong buat sekedar jemput gw subuh2 di stasiun kereta atau saling support selama koas yg bikin orang vulnerable karna jauh dari orang tua dan tuntutan kerjaan yang bikin lelah hati dan pikiran. Oh tapi ga cuma2 jg dong dia bantuin gw karena yg ada jg dia butuh gw, tiap stase pinjem buku gw, pinjem alkes pun dan ga lupa jg minta operan stase pdhl kita stase bareng aja gapernah jadi senior junior stase jg ga pernah. Entah itu modusnya buat selalu ada bahan ngobrol sama gw atau main bareng gw atau emg simply dia ga modal aja anaknya. Sempet dikecewain karena ternyata pa